Re: A reminder about the facts

From: <charles_at_krl.caltech.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 16:09:22 -0700 (PDT)

> Unfortunately, this means that ncurses is not free software.
> The freedom to distribute modified versions, including changes that
> the author does not like, is a crucial aspect of free software.

Well, would a piece of software be considered free if you can use all of
the code freely, and distribute it as you like, but you don't want anyone
else to release a derivation under the same name?

(I'm actually interested in this on-going debate because I'm planning on
releasing a piece of software soon, which I want to make generally free, but
I don't want something like this to happen where someone else releases it
by the same name, and version numbers and the like get confused. But I have
no problems if people change the code and release it as their own, as long
as a. they change the name, and b. they still give me credit for the parts
of the code which were mine.)

[munch]
> * There may be another good alternative, or at least one that is
> better than nothing. Does anyone know?

Eric, would you care if other people took over ncurses as long as they
changed the name? Then you can keep the 'original' ncurses and there would
simply be a split. You can find someone competent to take control of your
distribution....

                                                --- Charles