Re: ncurses-4.0 un-announcement

From: Eric S. Raymond <esr_at_snark.thyrsus.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 03:07:11 -0500 (EST)

Tony writes:
> But the point I was trying to make was that there was absolutely no
> discussion about any impending release *before* it was done. No "last
> calls for patches and bug reports" or anything like that. Now I see
> some messages about bugs in 4.0...

This is why I keep insisting that we need a release *procedure*. The
procedure should include the following steps:

1. Release preannouncement to ncurses-list. Includes a release target
   date, the current bug list, and a last call for bugs and features.
   This should happen two or three weeks pre-release.

2. Feature freeze announcement, one or two weeks before release.

3. Formal announcement. Should include a target date for the next
   release.

Zeyd, are you listening?

--
	Eric S. Raymond