Re: ncurses 4.1

From: Jason Evans <jasone_at_mrc.uidaho.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 15:14:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> > > The question is whether Tom has a right to do that. If the ncurses guys
> > To paraphrase: the question is whether Eric or Zeyd have the right to
> > distribute my changes (more than a third of the changes to the ncurses
> > library).
>
> There is no question of of their right. It doesn't matter whether you changed
> five, thirty or seventy percent. A derivative work is a derivative work.
> The authors have the sole adaptive right over that work.
>
> If you don't like it, make a 100% t.e. dickey curses.
>
> Incidentally, I was under the impression that ncurses is freely distributed.
> You can't allow the user base at large to distribute ncurses freely along with
> your changes, yet specifically deny distribution rights to Eric and Zeyd.
>
> What you are insinuating is that your changes are not freely distributed
> software.

Well, we've gone full circle now. Kaz, you're accusing Thomas of
retracting redistribution rights from Eric and Zeyd. If you recall back
a few days, that's exactly what Eric's intention was (and apparently
still is). Why are you so bent out of shape about Thomas doing it (even
though he didn't actually make a statement of intent to retract any
rights), yet applaud Eric, when he explicitly did exactly what you accuse
Thomas of?

Jason

Jason Evans: [MRC System Administrator]
e-mail: [jasone_at_mrc.uidaho.edu]
office phone: [(208) 885-7226]
home phone: [(208) 882-6745]
quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration." - Thomas Edison]