Maintainers and contributors revisited...

From: Peter Seebach <seebs_at_solon.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 08:07:10 -0500 (CDT)

Thomas Dickey's been awfully quiet lately. Does he still read this
list? Has anyone heard from him on which (if any) maintainer he
would be willing to work with?

All legal issues aside, he's put in a lot of work, and I think he
should have at least a say about the possible maintainers. (I would
assume he'd be willing to work with Juergen, but I have no guarantees.)

I mean, whether or not he ends up with copyright or ownership, I think
the amount of effort and code he's contributed earns him at least
some place in discussions of the future, and a spot in the credits.

I would say that, at least legally, ESR and Zeyd probably have more
pull, and even deciding votes between them, but I'd like to know what
Thomas thinks, because if there's maintainers he isn't willing to work
with, that's a potential for loss to the project.

Projects have managed before to have contributers who don't get along;
it would be a shame for ncurses to have to lose any of the significant
contributors over this.

MHO.

-s