Re: ncurses

From: Jason Evans <jasone_at_mrc.uidaho.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 15:41:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Juergen Pfeifer wrote:
> Keith Bostic wrote:
> > My understanding is that Eric and Thomas have both agreed, in
> > principle, to finding a neutral 3rd party to manage the ncurses
> > project. There are 3 people that have expressed willingness to
> > act in this role. In no particular order, they are:
> >
> > Peter Seebach seebs_at_solon.com
> > Florian La Roche florian_at_knorke.saar.de
> > Jason Evans jasone_at_mrc.uidaho.edu

> > Eric is not yet sure he's willing to agree to a new copyright
> > notice which would permit modification and redistribution. He's
> > investigating some possible alternatives that might satisfy
> > folks needs and his wishes. I have told Eric that I believe
> > this is an important issue for the BSD and Linux groups as well
> > as for the FSF.

I'm only willing to take on ncurses if it is under a new license; either
the Berkeley license (minus the advertising clause) or the GPL/LGPL, or
something similarly "free" that grants the right to redistribute modified
versions.

> > ... Juergen, I would also
> > encourage you to consider if managing the ncurses group would
> > be something that you would have time to do and feel comfortable
> > doing?
> >
> If that's what necessary to get things right and will be agreed by all
> players I will do that.

I would strongly support Juergen as the new manager of ncurses. He has
demonstrated his ability and knowledge of ncurses, and seems very capable
of keeping ncurses moving forward.

On the other hand, I will join with Juergen in the development of a new
curses if no resolution is reached for ncurses on or before 13 June. I
know of others who are also willing to contribute to this effort if need
be. One way or another, we will have a free curses library.

Jason

Jason Evans: [MRC System Administrator]
e-mail: [jasone_at_mrc.uidaho.edu]
office phone: [(208) 885-7226]
home phone: [(208) 882-6745]
quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration." - Thomas Edison]