Re: ncurses portability

From: Thomas E. Dickey <dickey_at_clark.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:12:58 -0500 (EST)

> I installed ncurses on my Linux 2.0.28 system and am using it to
> work on a project involving an ircii/emacs type interface. ncurses is
> really easy and has suited my task well so far but I didn't realize it was
> for linux/bsd mostly and there's no mention of portability to systems such
no. Its default configuration is different on linux/bsd, but it runs nicely
on IRIX and Solaris.

> as IRIX, Solaris 2, etc.
> I attempted to compile/test ncurses on an SGI IRIX 6.2 system. It
> compiled perfect but if I ran any of the test programs it gives me:
>
> Error opening terminal: vt100.
>
> Anyone know what's going on? btw, 'vt100' is what's in my TERM
> env variable.
you're probably configured with the application looking for terminfo in
/usr/local/share/terminfo (/usr/local is the default prefix because you
normally don't want to install into the same directory as the vendor's
software). Given that, if you didn't "make install.data", it'll not
find the terminfo data (this is in the INSTALL file).

To test without installing, on IRIX, Solaris, etc., when you're confiogured
this way, you can always set the $TERMINFO variable, e.g.,
        setenv TERMINFO /usr/share/lib/terminfo
(on this Solaris box).

--
Thomas E. Dickey